Dean International
Flight School

Visa Application FAQ's

Information for International Students



    This school is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant alien students. A designated official DSO shall issue you an I-20 form only after the following conditions are met:

    1. You have emailed a written or typed application (with applicable signatures) to the school.
    2. You have sent a valid copy of your passport, as well as a bank statement showing sufficient funds for tuition, along with your application.
    3. The school authority DSO has determined that you meet all standards for admission.
    4. The official responsible for admission at the school has accepted you for enrollment in a full course of study.

    Dean International will send, upon receipt of a Completed Application Form, an I-20 form and an official letter of acceptance.

    Upon arrival to the United States, students are enrolled according to the requirements of the school and the U.S. Government.

    Also upon arrival at Dean International, a deposit of $9350.00 USD is required prior to starting the training program with the remaining amount necessary for training due in increments of $5,905 USD every 30 days.

    If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us at (305) 259-5611 or email us at:


    Elisa Dean, DSO

    * Funds that are transferred to our institution before arrival must be paid in U.S. dollars, and by bank wire transfer. For more information, feel free to contact us at (305) 259-5611 or at


    Please proceed here to fill out and print an application form, then follow the instructions to send Dean International your application.

    Our DSO will process your application and will contact you shortly.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who is allowed to study in the USA?

    A nonimmigrant is someone who temporarily comes to the United States for a specific purpose. People who wish to pursue full-time academic or vocational studies are usually admitted to the United States in one of two nonimmigrant categories. The M-1 category includes students in vocational or other nonacademic programs, other than language training. The F-1 category includes academic students and students in language training programs. For more information on academic studies in the United States.

  • How do I apply if I am outside of the USA?

    You first must apply to study at a USCIS-approved school in the United States. (Dean International, Inc. is an approved school.)

    If you are accepted, the school should send you USCIS Form I-20 M-N/ID (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status For Vocational Students). If you require a visa, then you should take the USCIS Form I-20 to the nearest U.S. consulate to obtain a student visa. Only bring the USCIS Form I-20 from the school you plan on attending for visa processing at the U.S. consulate. You must also prove to the consulate that you have the financial resources required for your education and stay in the United States. Dean International’s DSO will assist with this process.

  • How do I change my nonimmigrant status to become a student if I am already in the USA?

    You first must apply to study at a USCIS-approved school in the United States. (Dean International, Inc. is an approved school.)

    If you are accepted, the school should send you USCIS Form I-20 M-N/ID (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status For Vocational Students). You must submit this form, your I-94 (Arrival-Departure Record), and a completed USCIS Form I-539 (Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status) to the USCIS. You must also prove that you have the financial resources required for your education and stay in the United States. Dean International’s DSO will assist with this process.

  • How long may I stay in the USA?

    Students can stay in the United States for up to three months on a tourist visa (not a business visa). For periods longer then three months, an I-20 (student visa) is needed. For purpose of full-time study, the I-20 can be extended for up to one year or for as long as you are enrolled as a full-time student in a vocational program. To retain visa status, students must maintain a minimum of 25 hours of school activity per week.

  • How may I extend my stay in the USA?

    You should apply to extend your stay in the United States if your studies will take longer than the date listed on your I-20 ID or your vocational program lasts longer than a year. You should complete USCIS Form I-539 (Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status) and send it to USCIS at least 15 (but not more than 60) days before your authorized stay in the country expires. You should also submit your USCIS Form I-20 ID to the USCIS at the same time.

    Dean International’s DSO will assist with this process.

  • May I bring my spouse and children with me?

    Yes. Your spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age may come with you to the United States on an M-2 nonimmigrant status. They should go with you to the U.S. embassy or consulate when you apply for your student (M-1) visa. They should be prepared to prove their relationship to you. If your spouse or children are following to join you at a later date, they should provide the U.S. embassy staff with a copy of your USCIS Form I-20 ID and proof of their relationship to you. The M-2 status of your family will be dependent upon your status as the M-1 vocational student. This means that if you change your status, your family must change their status as well. If you lose your status, your family will also lose their status.

  • May I travel in the USA?

    Yes. Travel within the United States can be accomplished either by car, long distance bus or, by scheduled air carrier. The U.S. airlines are extremely efficient and prices are relatively low. In the low-cost category, an air ticket from Miami to New York can cost approximately $200.00.

  • May I travel outside of the United States?

    Students may leave the United States and be readmitted after temporary absences. When making your travel plans, please remember that you must be a full-time student to keep your M-1 student status. Upon your return to the United States, you should provide immigration inspectors with:

    1. A valid passport.
    2. A valid M-1 entry visa stamped in the passport (if necessary).
    3. A current USCIS Form I-20 ID signed by your designated school official (you should have the designated school official sign your USCIS Form I-20 each time you wish to temporarily travel outside the United States).
    4. A new USCIS Form I-20 M-N/ID if there has been any substantive changes in your course of study or place of study.
    5. Proof of your financial support.
  • Will I be able to work?

    You and your spouse and children may NOT accept employment. However, you may apply for practical training after you complete your studies. If approved, you will be allowed to have one month of practical training for every four months of study you have completed. You will be limited to six months total practical training time.

  • How do I validate my foreign license?

    For more information about this process, please click on this link to visit the FAA website.

General Questions


    Students with previous flight experience should present photo static copies of licenses and a summary of all flight time as recorded in their flight log records. The summary should include total flight time, dual and pilot-in-command hours, night, instrument and cross country hours and types of aircraft flown.


    Foreign students do receive credit for flying done outside the USA. A foreign pilot’s license may be exchanged for U.S. reciprocal license with certain restrictions.


    Monday through Friday - 7:00am to 8:00pm
    Saturday - 9:00am to 8:00pm
    Sunday - 9:00am to 6:00pm


    Dean International operates a fleet of 11 modern Cessna 172's, 24 Cessna 152's, and one (1) 2002 Piper Arrow PA-28R. Twin-engine training is conducted on either one (1) Piper Seminole PA-44, one (1) Beechcraft Duchess, or your choice of one of our four (4) Piper Senecas.


    Dean International operates a flight training facility in Kendall-Tamiami Airport (KTMB), which is located approximately ten miles southwest of the center of Miami, Florida. Kendall-Tamiami (KTMB) has three runways with two parallel runways 150 feet by 5000 feet; it is equipped with an ILS and NDB approach. Kendall-Tamiami has an excellent FAA control tower.


    It is not necessary to speak fluent English at Dean International. However, English is the standard language of international aviation. Therefore, communication and books are in English and reasonable fluency is required for pilot training. Students, at entry, will be required to enroll in English and communications class.

  • FOOD

    There are many good restaurants in the Miami area and prices are reasonable. It is possible to eat breakfast in a fast food restaurant for $5.00. Lunch in a similar restaurant can be purchased for between $10.00 and $15.00. Dinner can be obtained for the same amount of money. Students eating at home, preparing their own food, find it possible to live with a food budget of $5.00 to $10.00 per day.


    The medium of currency is the U.S. Dollar, and there are several facilities in the area for foreign currency exchanges, as well as many local banks. ATMs (tellers) are present in all shopping areas, grocery shops.


    During the summer months the temperature averages about 85 degrees F, or 32 degrees C. In the winter, it averages 70 degrees F, or 21 degrees C). Heavy clothing is usually not needed in this climate.


    The Miami area is a vacation spot with a great variety of places to go and things to see. Beaches are excellent for swimming. There are a large number of sports facilities in the area, as well as theaters, movie houses, and various exhibitions.


    Nobody can determine exactly what the future will hold. As with other industries, aviation has its ups and downs. However, at time of writing, the indications are that the major European carriers are going to be facing a serious shortage of fixed-wing pilots within the next three to five years.


    Dean International offers various convenient housing and transportation packages. Please contact Elisa Dean at for more details.

Design by Ariel Llizo
© Dean International Inc. 2012